Wanted to play guitar on your Android device? and use it as a guitar amplifier? yes! you can. By using an audio interface that designed and supported for Android device of course.
It’s not a new thing that we can use an
In this post, I want to talk about the interface to use for the “jobs. To connect the electric guitar to the
Use phone as guitar amp with cheap Audio Interface
In order to connect the
- A USB guitar link
- USB/Type C to OTG converter,
- 1/4″ jack to 1/2″ Audio Converter
- And Guitar Amp simulator App by Deplike Audio.
There is two USB guitar link on the market I know. Which are Behringer UCG102 Guitar Link, and the clone of Behringer
So, to connect your guitar into your phone, the chain map should look like this: Guitar to > USB Guitar link interface > USB to OTG converter. And for the audio output, the signal chain should like this: From USB Guitar Link to > 1/4 to 1/2 audio converter to > Speaker monitor or Headphone. Below is the example illustration by Deplike Audio.
In order to make your Android phone as a guitar amp, you need to install the Guitar Amp simulator App by Deplike audio. Once App installed, tap on the audio signal on the right top of the amp simulator app interface for audio settings.
The app will ask you Which connection type do you prefer? Choose USB/Type C. One more time the app will ask you to select your device USB port type, Type C or OTG. See the screenshot below.
And you are ready to jam on your Android device with these cheap gadgets using Guitar Effects Pedals, Guitar Amp by Deplike audio. However, it is better to use the USB Guitar link by Behringer rather than the clone for better quality. As it also recommended by Deplike too.
Next, the second way (premium way) on how to use your Android device like a guitar amp/effect.
Play guitar through Android phone like a Pro With iRig HD-A Audio Interface
Another way to play guitar through Android phones you can use an Audio Interface like iRig HD-A by IK Multimedia. That can turn any supported Android devices as guitar and bass amp simulator.
It is hard for me to say, but yeah! this device may more expensive in price and a rare product. But it may worth it if you are looking for a “premium” tone. Since iRig HD-A is the first and digital audio interface made to use for android devices. As you may have known, that IK Multimedia are the pioneers in mobile music-making. So you’ll definitely get the premium sound for sure.
With iRig HD-A you can play your guitar/bass directly into your Android phone or tablets. I Rig HD-A also can be used for jamming on PC too. This means you will get two advantages from it.
- First, you can jam with this device anywhere you want.
- Second, while you where home you can plug in to your PC and use it as Audio Interface to jam or record your guitar and bass track.
iRig HD-A is compatible with any real processing apps that support USB/OTG audio input. This device allows you to plug-and-play and gets the highest possible sound quality on your Android phone especially for Samsung device.
The feature comes with a high definition 24-bit/48kHz A/D converter. It means, it offers a direct high-impedance input for guitars or other instruments and a direct connection to the device via the included OTG cable (an additional USB cable is also available for use with PC). Below is iRig HD-A feature:
iRig HD-A features
- High-quality instrument-level 1/4” Hi-Z input jack
- Detachable cables for OTG and USB connector compatibility
- Preamp gain control
- High-quality low-noise, high-definition preamp
- High-quality 24-bit A/D conversion
- 44.1 and 48 kHz sampling rate
- Powered by the mobile device or USB
- Works with line level signals from synthesizers, keyboards and mixers
- Comes with AmpliTube FREE for Samsung Pro Audio app (free download on Samsung Galaxy Store)
- Free AmpliTube Custom Shop software (download from IK site) and free download of AmpliTube Metal collection for PC users
- Compatible with Android devices that support Samsung Professional Audio technology, like the Samsung Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 Edge, Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge. Samsung Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Note 3 require Android 5
- Compatible with Android devices via USB (OTG) connector running Android apps that use USB (OTG) audio input
- Compatible with any Android devices via USB (OTG) connector running Android 5
If this device is what you need, then I am pretty sure you will not gonna regret to buy this awesome Audio Interface. You can go to Amazon.com to check the price and if it’s still available. Check here: Amazon
Please Note! That there is a different version of the iRig device. One is work for iPhone only, and the other one is work for Android only. Don’t buy the wrong device! Like I mention above, it’s better to use the Behringer UCG102 that cheaper and also works on PC/Mac as well.
Note and conclusion
Okay, I hope this post useful and can help you to found the right gear for your needs. I say “for your needs” not “what you want. Because sometimes we often regretting buying things that we “want” and not what we really need.