Wanted to play guitar on your Android device? and use it as guitar amplifier? yes! you can. By using an audio interface that designed and supported for android device of course. It’s not a new thing that we can use Android or iOS device to run a guitar amp simulator and turn your phone as an amplifier.
In this post I want to talk about the interface to use for the “jobs. To connect electric guitar to Android device. There is two way to do that. The cheap way and the “premium” way. So let’s start with the most affordable way 😉
Use phone as guitar amp with cheap Audio Interface
In order to connect electric guitar to Android device you’ll need some tools which are:
- A usb guitar link/usb audio interface (the cheap one)
- USB/Type C to OTG converter,
- 1/4″ jack to 1/2″ Audio Converter
- And Guitar Amp simulator App by Deplike Audio.
There are two usb guitar link on the market I know. Which is Behringer UCG102 Guitar Link and the clone of Behringer UCG which is Guitar to USB Interface (more cheap). You can buy the clone for only $5.59 on Amazon.
So, to connect your guitar into your phone, the chain map should look like this: Guitar to > USB Guitar link interface > USB to OTG converter. And for the audio output, the signal chain should like this: From USB Guitar Link to > 1/4 to 1/2 audio converter to > Speaker monitor or Headphone. Below is the example illustration by Deplike Audio.
In order to make your Android phone as guitar amp you need to install Guitar Amp simulator App by Deplike audio. Once App installed, tap on the audio signal on right top of the amp simulator app interface for audio settings.
The app will ask you Which connection type do you prefer? Choose USB/Type C. One more time the app will ask you to select your device USB port type, Type C or OTG. See screenshot below.
And you are ready to jam on your Android device with those cheap gadget using Guitar Effects Pedals, Guitar Amp by Deplike audio. However it is better to use USB Guitar link by Behringer rather than the clone for better quality. As it also recommended by Deplike.
Next, the second way (premium way) on how to use your Android device as guitar Amp/effect.
Play guitar through Android phone like a Pro With iRig HD-A Audio Interface
Another way to play guitar through Android phone you can using an Audio Interface like iRig HD-A by IK Multimedia. That can turn any supported Android devices as guitar and bass amp simulator.
It is hard for me to say, but yeah! this device may more expensive in price but it may worth if you are looking for “premium” tone. Since iRig HD-A is the first and digital audio interface made to use for android device. As you may have know that IK Multimedia are the pioneers in mobile music making. So you’ll definitely get the premium sound for sure.
With iRig HD-A you can play your guitar/bass directly into your Android phone or tablets. I Rig HD-A also can be use for jaming on PC too. This mean, you will get two advantages from it.
- First, you can jam with this device anywhere you want.
- Second, while you where home you can plug in to your PC and use it as Audio Interface to jam or record your guitar and bass track.
iRig HD-A compatible with any real processing apps that support USB/OTG audio input. This device allows you to plug-and-play and get the highest possible sound quality on your Android phone especially for Samsung device.
The feature comes with a high definition 24-bit/48kHz A/D converter. It means, it offers a direct high-impedance input for guitars or other instruments and a direct connection to the device via the included OTG cable (an additional USB cable is also available for use with PC). Below is iRig HD-A feature:
iRig HD-A features
- High-quality instrument-level 1/4” Hi-Z input jack
- Detachable cables for OTG and USB connector compatibility
- Preamp gain control
- High-quality low-noise, high-definition preamp
- High-quality 24-bit A/D conversion
- 44.1 and 48 kHz sampling rate
- Powered by the mobile device or USB
- Works with line level signals from synthesizers, keyboards and mixers
- Comes with AmpliTube FREE for Samsung Pro Audio app (free download on Samsung Galaxy Store)
- Free AmpliTube Custom Shop software (download from IK site) and free download of AmpliTube Metal collection for PC users
- Compatible with Android devices that support Samsung Professional Audio technology, like the Samsung Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 Edge, Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge. Samsung Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Note 3 require Android 5
- Compatible with Android devices via USB (OTG) connector running Android apps that use USB (OTG) audio input
- Compatible with any Android devices via USB (OTG) connector running Android 5
If this device is what you need, then I am pretty sure you will not gonna regret for buy this awesome Audio Interface. You can can go to Amazon.com to check the product prize here http://amzn.to/2sIk2Fp
Still unsure? Below you you can watch a video review by IK Multimedia them self (For Samsung device).
Note and conclusion
I hope this post useful and can help you to found the right gear for your needs. I say “for your needs” not “what you want. Because sometimes we often regretting buying things that we “want” and not what we really need.